A hospital’s medical or clinical laboratory performs tests in order to obtain important information that helps your physician diagnose, treat and/or prevent disease. The Laboratory at Crisp Regional Hospital offers a full range of testing, with more than 300 laboratory tests done in-house and an unlimited number of tests for which specimens are collected here and processed at reference labs.
Laboratory Services + Pathology
902 North 7th Street
Cordele, GA 31015
The Laboratory at Crisp Regional Hospital is staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to provide support to our clinicians and patients. We also offer outpatient laboratory services based on your physician’s orders. Hours are 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily. Comprehensive inpatient and outpatient testing services include clinical and surgical pathology, blood bank, chemistry, hematology, immunology, microbiology and urinalysis. Histology and cytology analyses are also available.
Surgical and clinical pathology is the study of the nature of disease, including its causes, development and consequences. Our team studies blood, tissue, body fluids and other samples to diagnose and treat disease.
Most tests do not require an appointment but may necessitate fasting or a visit first thing in the morning. Some hormonal measurements fluctuate during the day, so collection of lab specimens at certain times is needed to obtain reference ranges or normal values.
Services adhere to the highest laboratory standards by participating in strict quality assurance programs. Our Laboratory is accredited by the College of American Pathologists (CAP), reflecting adherence to a rigorous checklist of requirements; and we meet all requirements of the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act (CLIA). In addition, our services satisfy the clinical laboratory standards of The Joint Commission.
Laboratory services include medical and clinical services as well as surgical and clinical pathology. Most diagnoses and treatments rely on lab test results and surgical pathology or biopsy results. Services include:
- Transfusion medicine (blood bank): Transfusion medicine is the “pharmacy” of the lab, with numerous types of blood and blood products stored on site. Patients occasionally require blood or blood products for treatment of disease or, in the case of extreme trauma, just to survive. Transfusion significantly reduces the likelihood of undesired outcomes. Our procedures and testing virtually eliminate the possibility of an acute hemolytic transfusion reaction, which can be fatal for the patients.
- Clinical chemistry: Chemical and biochemical mechanisms of the body are studied in relation to disease, mostly through the analysis of body fluids such as blood or urine
- Coagulation: Coagulation testing determines how long it takes for a patient to stop bleeding, if the patient is missing an essential plasma protein or circulatory component, or why the patient has a tendency to coagulate or clot easily or spontaneously.
- Endocrinology: Endocrinology studies hormone-producing glands in the body and measures hormone levels. Pathology can diagnose specific problems by examining tissue that is obtained via fine needle or fluid aspiration from areas surrounding the glands.
- Hematology: Hematology is the study of blood wherein we enumerate, measure and describe everything found in blood.
- Immunology: Immunology studies antibodies and antigens. Diseases such as Lupus, rheumatoid arthritis or Crohn’s disease can develop because of an overactive immune system.
- Microbiology: In microbiology, we study microorganisms that can cause disease.
- Toxicology: Using urine or blood specimens, toxicology reveals drugs and other compounds not normally found in human physiology.
- Virology: We perform three virology tests in-house for viruses than can cause disease: influenza, respiratory syncytial and Epstein Barr virus testing.
Meet Our Team
Our professional laboratory staff is a dedicated and caring team that includes a board-certified pathologist, registered medical technologists and technicians, cytologists, histologists, skilled phlebotomists and an efficient, responsive administrative staff.
Pathology / Medical Director, Laboratory Services
Crisp Regional Hospital
902 North 7th Street
Cordele, GA 31015