As we go into the new year, now is a great time to make sure our loved ones are cared for and have what they need to be happy and healthy. It can be especially challenging to know how to best care for the seniors
in your life.
Here are some potential items that you might include on a New Year’s resolution checklist for taking care of the elderly adults in your life:
- Set up regular check-ins with your loved one, whether in person or via phone or video chat. This can help ensure that they are doing well and provide an opportunity for them to share any concerns or needs they may have. It is also a great way to help them feel connected and included by their loved ones.
- Make sure that your loved one has access to necessary healthcare services, such as regular doctor’s appointments and any prescribed medications. It may be a good idea to help them set up some of their yearly doctor’s appointments at the beginning of the year to ensure they are getting the care they need.
- Help your loved one to stay active and engaged in their community by finding social and recreational activities that they can participate in. Local community centers often offer fitness classes and activities designed specifically for seniors. This is a great way to get them out of the house, interact with peers, and be active.
- Ensure that your loved one’s living environment is safe and comfortable, and make any necessary home modifications, such as installing handrails or adding lighting, to prevent falls and accidents.
- Make a plan for emergency situations, such as a power outage or natural disaster, to ensure that your loved one is safe and has access to necessary supplies and services. They should know how to reach you or someone else who can help them in the event of an emergency.
Remember that every individual’s needs and circumstances are different, so you may need to tailor this list to fit the specific needs of your loved one. The most important thing is that they feel supported and cared for.
By being part of their life, and actively finding ways to look after their well-being, you can ensure that they go into the new year with everything they need to be happy and healthy.