By Brooke Marshall | Safety Tips.
As the pandemic
continues, it is important to stay up to date on the guidelines put in place to keep yourself and others safe. The CDC has recommended that people wear masks or face coverings whenever they go out in public. A mask is most effective when worn and cared for properly.
When you wear a mask, you help protect yourself and those around you, and you help our healthcare workers and hospitals
by slowing the spread of the virus. We’ve compiled some of the important things you need to know about wearing a mask so that you can stay healthy and also protect those around you.
Why is wearing a mask important?
Masks help prevent germs from spreading through breath or droplets released through a cough or sneeze. They can also protect you from breathing in germs that can hang in the air.
Another important preventative measure to avoid spreading germs is keeping your hands away from your face, especially your mouth and nose
. A mask that covers your nose and mouth will help you remember not to put your hands near them.
What kind of mask should you wear?
There are many types of face masks, and it can be difficult to understand what kind is best for you to use. It is important to listen to experts such as the CDC when deciding what face mask to use.
The current recommendation is for cloth masks or face coverings, and these can even be made at home with materials you likely already have. The important thing is that the mask fits you well and stays clean and properly cared for.
It is not recommended that young children
under the age of two wear a face mask. Older children and adults should wear face masks whenever possible if they go out.
- Wash your hands carefully with soap and water, or use hand sanitizer before and after handling the mask.
- Pay careful attention when putting on the mask, to ensure that you always put the mask on the same way each time you wear it. The outside of you mask will be dirty, and you want to make sure it doesn’t touch your face. It may be helpful to mark the outside of your mask so that it won’t be confusing.
- Help your kids make sure that their masks fit well and are worn properly.
- Always handle your masks by the elastic straps.
- Make sure the mask fits snuggly over your nose, mouth, and around your chin
- If your mask is cloth, you should wash it after you use it.
During this time it is so important that people take care of themselves and each other. One of the best ways you can do this is by following social distancing guidelines, practicing good hygiene, and wearing a mask when you go out.