By Brooke Marshall | Hospital News.
Technology advancements have made drastic improvements to the way we can receive health-care services. Many people have made use of telemedicine technology during the pandemic as a way to consult with a doctor without having to take the risk of being around other people.
What is Telemedicine?
allows patients and health care professionals to interact remotely through technologies such as phone or video communication. It may be used for
- Pre-op appointments
- Follow-up appointments to discuss test results
- Diagnosing minor injuries or conditions
- Monitoring chronic illness remotely
Why should you use Telemedicine?
Telemedicine provides many benefits for both patients and health-care professionals.
- It is convenient. Telemedicine allows patients to meet with a health-care professional from the comfort of their own home.
- It is safe. During the pandemic, it is often safer to meet with your doctorremotely to avoid the possibility of exposure to germs.
- It eliminates some costs such as transportation, meals out, or even hotel stays in some cases.
- It is accessible. For patients who live in rural areas, a health care provider may require significant travel. Telemedicine makes health care more accessible, no matter where a patient is located.
- It is more efficient for healthcare providers. Telemedicine allows doctors to communicate with more patients quickly and thoroughly.
There are certainly times when it is necessary to see a health care professional in person. If you are experiencing an emergency
, you should call 911. However, in many cases, telemedicine can make monitoring a condition, receiving a diagnosis, and even getting a prescription easier and more convenient.