By Brooke Marshall | Crisp Living.
health is often overlooked, but it is an important part of your health. Healthy veins ensure blood flow back to the heart. There are several problems people can experience with their veins that can cause more serious health problems.
Types of Vein Health Problems
- Varicose Veins: This occurs when blood collects in veins due to the valves in blood vessels not closing properly. Veins can then become enlarged and cause discomfort, pain, and heaviness in the legs. Usually varicose veins are not any cause for worry. However, the veins can sometimes develop blood clots. When this happens, treatment is required.
- Spider Veins: These are essentially tiny varicose veins. They do not cause pain or health problems, but some people may consider them to be a cosmetic issue and will opt for treatment in order to make them less visible.
What You Can Do
These problems can be attributed to genetics, heart disease
, diabetes, or obesity
. There are several things you can do in your everyday life to keep your veins healthy.
- Stay Active: Make exercise a normal part of your routine. If you spend a majority of your day sitting at a desk, make a point to get up and walk around periodically to allow for blood circulation.
- Eat a Healthy Diet: Certain foods like fruits and vegetables can help improve blood circulation and keep blood vessels healthy. Staying properly hydrated is very important as well, because it allows for better blood flow. If you are dehydrated, the blood becomes thicker and doesn’t circulate as easily.
- Avoid Smoking: Nicotine causes blood vessels to harden, and smoking deoxygenates blood, making it thicken.
- Wear Compression Socks: These help muscles contract, allowing for blood flow to the heart.
- Ask Your Doctor about Treatment: Sometimes vein problems produce unpleasant symptoms that may indicate a more serious problem; talk to your doctor if you experience swelling or fatigue.
Vein health is closely linked with heart health, so doing things like eating healthy, exercising, and living a safe and healthy lifestyle will be beneficial in keeping you healthy overall.