The holidays are over, and you’re trying to get back in the rhythm of eating well. It’s not uncommon to put on a few extra pounds right before the new year with all the sweets and holiday parties. It often feels good to be back into a healthy routine. Below are some tips on how to find your rhythm again and maintain a healthy weight throughout the coming year.
The holidays can be busy and stressful, so it’s a good idea to hit the reset button in January and prepare for the year ahead. You’ll be at your healthiest if you use the beginning of the year to set yourself up for success for the rest of the year.
– Make a plan: The best way to stay healthy is to make a plan to eat healthy consistently. Try meal planning so that you have the week’s meals laid out ahead of time. This will make you less likely to fall back on fast food or unhealthy options if you don’t know what to make for dinner that day.
– Keep track of what works and what doesn’t: Don’t get discouraged if you get off track one day or you don’t like a certain meal. Keep trying new things until you find something that works. Consider keeping a journal or document full of the healthy recipes you and your family enjoy.
Stock your kitchen with healthy options
Throw out the leftover cookies and candy from Christmas and fill your kitchen with food that will inspire you to eat healthily.
– Keep track of which produce is in-season so that you always have the freshest fruits and vegetables.
– Always choose whole grains instead of breads made with white, bleached flour.
– Try new recipes. You may be surprised how many healthy meals you enjoy when you find recipes you like.
– Make it a habit. The best way to ensure that you keep a healthy weight throughout the whole year is to be consistent about the work you put into achieving that goal. Once you make it a routine, it will become easier to keep it up, and you’ll most likely find yourself enjoying it as well.
– Do something fun! Exercising doesn’t have to be a chore. You can get in your cardio or endurance workouts doing things you enjoy such as hiking or dancing. Or find something new that you’ve always wanted to try. Doing something you love will make it easier to stick with it.
Don’t give up
You’ve already accomplished something just by making the goal to stay healthy this year. When you follow that with good planning and hard work, you’ll get to experience the rewarding results.