By Brooke Marshall | Safety Tips.
A lot has changed over the last few months, and it can be overwhelming to know how you can help others while also trying to protect your family’s
health. There are some simple things you can do such as:
- Washing your hands often
- Avoid touching your face
- Stay 6 ft away from others
- Disinfect frequently touched surfaces
One of the simplest things you can do is to wear a face mask. The CDC advises the use of cloth masks to slow the spread of the virus and help keep people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting to others. This is a simple step you can take to ensure that you keep yourself, and those around you, safe.
What kind of mask should you wear?
The CDC recommends wearing a cloth mask. These masks are most effective in protecting yourself and those around you. Medical grade masks such as surgical masks and N95 masks should be saved for healthcare workers only. These masks are in short supply in hospitals
, and they are vital to healthcare workers.
When should you wear a mask?
Many stores and restaurants require that face masks be worn inside. Always wear a mask when you are in a space where you are close to other people. Follow any guidelines concerning face masks that are put in place by businesses or the local government. If you are alone, you do not need to wear a mask.
How do you wear the mask?
If a mask is worn improperly or not cared for correctly, it can end up being more harmful than helpful. Follow these guidelines to ensure that you wear your mask safely and correctly.
- Make sure your hands are clean before you put the mask on.
- Put your mask on, making sure that it covers your nose and mouth and fits under your chin.
- Do not use a mask that doesn’t fit correctly. If your mask is too big, it may fall and leave your nose uncovered. If the mask is too small it may not cover your mouth and nose fully.
- Ensure that you can still breath properly while wearing your mask.
younger than 2 years old should not wear a mask.
If everyone does their part and takes simple steps like wearing a mask, we will be able to keep ourselves and our communities
safe and healthy.